Status: Nothing significant remains
Mission Santísimo Nombre de María was the second mission built in the San Antonio area, after San Francisco de los Tejas.
It was founded by Fray Francisco Casañas de Jesus María on the banks of the Neches River. It was intended to convert the Hasinai (Caddo) Indians. However, the Caddo tribes resisted the Catholic teachings. One Hasinai medicine man even convinced his people that baptism waters could be fatal.
The mission itself consisted of a simple wooden chapel and a house for the priest. It was destroyed by flood in 1692.