Status: Nothing significant remains
Mission San Francisco Xavier de Horcasitas was the first of three missions built on the San Gabriel river, then known as the San Xavier. The others were Mission San Ildefonso and Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria del Cañón.
The mission was founded in 1745; a presidio was added in 1751.
Drought and disease plagued the mission. In 1755 it was relocated to the San Marcos River, and renamed Mission San Francisco Xavier de los Dolores.