Mission Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de los Ais

Founded: 1717

Status:  Archaeological site

Location:  701 South Broadway, San Augustine, TX 75972 (visitor center)

Google Map

Mission Dolores was established in 1717. It was abandoned in 1719 with the advent of hostilities between Spain and France.

The mission was reestablished in August 1722, by Father Antonio Margil de Jesús, who moved it east of the previous site, in order to be near a stream and a large tract of level land that could be used for farming.

The mission continued until 1773, when the Spanish government ordered all of East Texas to be abandoned.

Mission Dolores is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a designated State Archeological Landmark. Archaeological research on the site has found a wide variety of Indian pottery and locally made utensils, as well as gun flints, knife blades and horse rigging probably brought from Mexico by garrison soldiers.

There is a modern visitors center on site with a variety of interpretive exhibits.