Status: Nothing significant remains
Mission Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de los Nacogdoches was established in 1716 in East Texas to serve the Nacogdoche tribe.
Its location in east Texas was authorized by the Spanish government to serve as a buffer against the threat of French incursion into Spanish territory from Louisiana. It closed temporarily in 1719, because of threats from French Louisiana, but reopened in 1721.
The mission continued until 1773, when the Spanish government ordered all of East Texas to be abandoned.
In 1779 a group of settlers moved to the area to settle in the empty mission buildings. This began the town of Nacogdoches, Texas.